Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Too busy cooking to blog.....Cheapskate Challenge Day 18








I call these guys

the "Twins".


Dinner last Friday and planned leftovers for Saturday. ($8.54 for the 10+ lb. pair, by the way.) Originally, the menu called for Pork Fried Rice....but that's a whole other story. Now that would have been quite a trick, my friends.....

Unfortunately (or fortunately ?) we had the first slippage of the challenge on Saturday night. Guests. Who we hosted for dinner....because I forgot to return their DVD to redbox. Know what happens then? Mmmmm, a nifty $25 fine. So we invited them to dinner because they flat refused to take cash for my little misadventure.
So I just could not serve Meal # 2 (see below) to our guests. You guessed it.....take out Chinese. Which reminded me why I started this all in the first place. Because it cost the same as a WEEK of groceries. Although I did throughly enjoy my Scallion Pancakes and General Tso's Chicken for several lunches.

And may I say, said DVD...Mamma Mia! was so. not. worth. it. It's been a long time since I couldn't bear to sit for one more minute of a movie. So sad, because I loved the show, and the music, and the actors....but this was pure torture. But, I digress.

So the "Twins" broke down like this:

Meal #1: 1.5 chickens for 6 of us. The .5? the legs and wings. Who know, my kids LOVE the wings and drumsticks. Blech, I mean broccoli and instant mashed potatoes on the side. And lest you think me a total ogre tothe kids during the challenge, Klondike bars for dessert (less than $0.42 each.)


Meal #2

Add tortillas, shredded cheese, lettuce and tomato,
plus a healthy glob of salsa (PACE preferred), and voila......Chicken Quesadillas. For those of you not watching their weight, feel free to add a "dollop of Daisy" sour cream too. Had some avacados as well, but I was too lazy to cut them up. Due to some grumbling on the part of some children, only 2 of us enjoyed the quesadillas.

So, for the past 17 days, my family has stuck to the menu plan and listened to "No, I am not buying [insert wasteful item here], did you forget that it's Cheapskate Challenge month?"

And now I've got to get back to the kitchen......













No comments: